Written By: Lilise D. Mason, Social Business Manager
November 3, 2023
Eggplants, also known as aubergines, are one of the most versatile and delicious vegetables you can find in your local market. They come in various shapes and sizes, and their deep purple or glossy black skin hides a world of culinary possibilities. In this blog post, we'll dive into the wonderful world of eggplants and explore a delectable recipe that will surely leave you craving for more.
Eggplant: A Nutrient-Packed Powerhouse:
Before we dive into the mouthwatering recipe, let's talk about the health benefits of eggplants. These incredible veggies are not only low in calories but also rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. They provide dietary fiber, which is great for digestive health, and they're also known for their potential to lower the risk of heart disease and improve blood sugar control.
Eggplant Parmesan: A Classic Italian Delight:
- 2 large eggplants
- 2 cups of breadcrumbs
- 1 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 cups of marinara sauce
- 2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 eggs
- Fresh basil leaves for garnish
- Olive oil for frying
1. Start by slicing the eggplants into 1/4-inch thick rounds. Place them in a colander, sprinkle with Abstract Spice Rose Sea Salt, and let them sit for about 30 minutes. This helps to draw out excess moisture and reduce bitterness.
2. Rinse the eggplant slices and pat them dry with paper towels.
3. In one bowl, beat the eggs. In another bowl, mix the breadcrumbs and grated Parmesan cheese.
4. Dip each eggplant slice into the beaten eggs, ensuring they are well-coated, and then dredge them in the breadcrumb mixture.
5. Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Fry the eggplant slices until they turn golden brown, about 2-3 minutes on each side. Place them on paper towels to drain any excess oil.
6. Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
7. In a baking dish, spread a layer of marinara sauce. Add a layer of fried eggplant slices, followed by mozzarella cheese. Repeat the layers until all ingredients are used up.
8. Bake in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly and golden.
9. Garnish with fresh basil leaves before serving.
Eggplants are not only a feast for the taste buds but also a healthy addition to your meals. The Eggplant Parmesan recipe we've shared is a classic Italian favorite that beautifully showcases the versatility of this vegetable. Whether you're a vegetarian or simply looking to add more plant-based options to your diet, this dish is a winner. So, head to your kitchen, grab some eggplants, and start cooking up a storm. Enjoy!