I just posted a super quick and delicious tuna steak recipe that partners PERFECT with this equally quick Easy Roasted Butternut Squash & Kale-Cabbage Shred dish.
Once again I'm grabbing that handy bag of fresh pre-packaged shredded veggies! One of my favorite stores, Aldi's, has a convenient and delicious pre-packaged shredded kale salad that can be found in their refrigerated produce section. If you can't find this exact salad package, any shredded pre-packaged vegetables will work, such as cabbage slaw, broccoli slaw, etc.
*CulinaryHealthTIP: Tender leaves such as spinach and arugula are not good subs being that their textures won't hold up well under the high roasted temperature. Kale, Swiss Chard, and Collards are a more preferred sub.
what you need:
Enjoy with my super quick 10 Minute Sesame Seared Tuna w/ Charred Lime & Coconut Butter recipe!
~Your Culinary Health Resource
try this recipe and let me know in the comments below!
The key to this buttery-tender tuna steak in my 10 Minute Sesame Seared Tuna w/ Charred Lime Coconut Butter, is to make sure the skillet is super hot- I mean smoking!
When I turn the heat up on the stove, I immediately switch on the exhaust fan overhead in addition to opening the kitchen windows, lol! However, because the searing process is under 2 minutes for each side per tuna steak, the noise from the fan won't disturb your dinner you'll be devouring in 10 minutes or less!
What you need:
6. Once done, transfer each steak to a serving platter/dish and sprinkle on sesame seeds and green onions.
7. Reducing heat to low-med, stir in lime juice AND limes, inadvertently lifting the cooked bits from the pan which will become part of your butter, yummy! (This process of deglazing also helps in the cleaning process of the pan when dinner is done- #Winning!)
8. Melt in coconut butter making sure it combines with lime juice and completely. Remove heat.
9. Pour the warm citrus butter over plated steaks adding more sesame seeds and green onions if so desired.
Enjoy with a delicious salad, roasted veggies, or AC Art Of Food's Easy Roasted Butternut Squash & Kale Cabbage Shred (pictured with tuna steaks)
~From Your Culinary Health Resource!
What side dishes do you serve with your tuna steaks?
What's your favorite Thanksgiving dish?
Let me know in the comments below!
Sandwich this delicious filling between your favorite choice of bun. My family typically raves over a potato roll. However, we have also ventured out to the Hawaiian, brioche, artisan rolls, and of course for my keto-diet-friendly foodies, a nice firm leaf of romaine a scrumptious substitute!
WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE CHILDHOOD FOOD?
lET ME KNOW IN THE COMMENTS BELOW!
So as the self-appointed Culinary Health Consultant of Savannah State University Tiger Alumni (lol!), I have devised 3 Get-back-right 'Post-Homecoming Detox' recipes for the week after to recoup and re-align from the past weekend 'activities'.
Ultimately, this is simply an awesome way to jump-start to a healthier body and lifestyle, inside and out!
Enjoy the recipes below along with these helpful tips below:
1. No fried food for the next 3 days.
2. No artificial or added sweets for the next 3 days.
3. No alcohol for the next 3 days.
4. Drink 8oz. of warm lemon water every morning.
5. Drink at least 1/2 your body weight in water everyday.
**POST-HOMECOMING 'Tiger' DETOX**
- Gallon of water
- 1/2 sliced cucumber
- 1 inch peeled ginger root
- 1 lemon sliced
- handful of fresh mint leaves.
- 2 stalks of celery
- 1 apple
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 inch turmeric root
- 1 cup spinach
- Blend until smooth.
- Container of low-sodium vegetable broth
- 4 green onions chopped/sliced
- 4 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- the juice of 2 limes.
What's your favorite part of homecoming?
Let me know in the comments below!
This one-pot wonder is such a velvety taste of wonder that you will not believe how super easy it is to make! Each ingredient is sautéed in one pot, melding together a delicious symphony of vegetables, natural sweetness, and healing spices that welcome the cooler weather approaching.
Warm healing spice notes from the turmeric, cumin, and nutmeg in this recipe make this Maple Butternut Squash Soup actually a Super Food Soup! Oh, and did I mention this rich delicious bowl of goodness and mercy is VEGAN! *Insert warm and fuzzies here*
Try this recipe and let me know what you think! Don’t forget to post pics to the comments below!
Last weekend I decided to bring the retro 'dinner party' term to life in 2018. What started off as a make-up for a missed birthday event for a friend, turned into a beautiful opportunity to celebrate a good friend, along with good food!
My initial dried fruit of choice was cranberries. However, right next to the package was an equally tasty looking bag of dried cherries! Needless to say, either one would work magically, but my love for cherries during the summertime spoke a little louder given that I could bring them to life in the Fall. Not to mention the awesome health benefits cherries have such as melatonin(sleep aid), cardiovascular health, anti-aging properties, as well as having the power to lower hypertension.
For the cheese spread, cream cheese is added to create a more smooth consistency when spreading as opposed to the goat cheese alone having the tendency to crumble when applied. But no worries, the tangy goat cheese flavor still reigns supreme!
The baguette in this assembly presents a heartier vehicle for this delicious foodie topping combo that brings its own delicious identity when drizzled with fresh extra virgin olive oil. The sprinkle is simply added flavor. Remember, in cooking you must season each layer for maximum flavor!
What's your favorite dinner appetizer go to? Post it below in the comments and let me try it too!
*happy NATIONAL TACO DAY*
Even though the shell has been replaced with a cool and refreshing crisp lettuce leaf, the warm vibrant and rustic flavors of the curry spice balance this one-handed masterpiece perfectly. With Abstract Spice as the all natural seasoning base for flavor, the added rich fall spices of curry and paprika are heightened for a more distinguished tasting taco. Taking this flavor to an additional level is the arugula. Usually I have fresh cilantro as a garnish for my tacos that packs bright flavor, however, the 'peppery' bite of arugula deepens the warm spice tones to pair even more harmoniously with these tacos. Finishing with a squeeze of lime adding delicious zing to the layers of flavor and freshness, these tacos are a force to be reckoned with!
Like with many of my newer recipes, my Green Goodness Curry Taco Boats also include simple ingredients and preparation making it an ideal recipe to prepare during the week. You can even prepare the curry seasoned filling ahead of time and just heat and serve when you like. These are also super convenient for packing for lunch!
HOW DO YOU LIKE YOUR TACOS? LET ME KNOW AND MAYBE I'LL FEATURE YOUR RECIPE IN A POST!
Hey hon! Because salmon is not always in season I try at all times to get it wild, obviously even when it IS in season. However, if it's out of season I try to purchase it at @costco where they have a sticker on the package of their fresh salmon when it's out of season that states it's antibiotic free/responsibly raised. Try to go to a fish market if possible though. You know our ❤30349❤ connect 'Fulton Bay Fish Market' on Roosevelt is a trusted neighborhood spot- but remember they're closed Sun-Tues😉. And if you want a larger selection, you can't beat @yourdekalbfarmersmarket - open err'day from 9am-9pm! (except for Christmas and Thanksgiving). As far as the types of fish that I ADORE, and of course good for you😜, are trout(my fav right now❤), good ol' whitting is awesome as well. Cod is also an excellent thicker meaty fish compared to these others I mentioned. Hope this helps babe!! Let me know!!
What are your reservations about fish? What is your favorite way to prepare it? Let me Know inthe comments below and maybe I'll try it out and feature you in my next fish post!
And can you believe it, they have the nerve to be better for you than your standard white flour based pancake too!
Around this time right at the turn of the season, grocery store shelves are packed with pumpkin spices throughout! I snagged my spice at one of my favorite farmer's markets that I have been patroning for as long as I can remember! Yep, none other than Your Dekalb Farmer's Market! My goodness, they have everything in there!
These Fall Pumpkin Spice Protein Pancakes are sure to become a season tradition in our home. Obviously butter and maple syrup are a must. But adding warm spiced apples on top would definitely set these babies off right!
There's no better way to say 'Welcome Fall'!
What are your favorite fall time breakfast favs? Let me know in the comments below and share your delicious ideas!
What's more is that this delicious recipe has the comforting flavor of homemade mashed potatoes, without the guilt! Only 33 calories and 3 carbs per serving! Compare that to the 129 calories and 25 grams of carb in real mashed potatoes per serving!
Are you a fan of cauliflower or nah?
Drop a comment below and let me know how you prepare your cauliflower!
Now don't get me wrong, nothing says summer like a delicious bowl of strawberry shortcake, but now that I'm incorporating everything into creating a healthier lifestyle, I decided to bring this cherished, comfort-food dessert into a delicious treat- minus the 'cake'. What's more is I can do it for under 100 calories a serving!
While this post is primarily about strawberries, other fresh fruit is super ideal to make variations to this delicious and light recipe. Sliced banana, slivered almonds, and a cherry on top is sure to be your new guilt-free-go-to banana split fav, but don't stop at fresh! Grilled fruit loves fresh whipped cream just as much. In fact, grilled pineapple and peaches literally curls my toes and drives me into my happy dance! And just in case you were wondering, my son thought it would be a great idea to secure a chocolate sandwich cooke as the topping in the pic below, lol!
I must admit I was a bit hesitant to even think that whipped cream would satisfy my sweet tooth for a cool, refreshing, vanilla topping. I naturally coveted 'ice cream' as the ideal accompaniment. Boy was I wrong! Whipped cream is super light yet flavor potent, and might I add nearly 230 calories LESS than its iced counterpart! YES! Two tablespoons of 'real' whipped cream is only 15 calories with less than 1 gram of sugar! (...I'll wait and let you read that again). This is literally a win-win situation. So check the recipe below and become a winner!!
What delicious variations would you try with whipped cream and fruit?
Let me know in the comments below!
These bars are perfectly convenient to grab-go-and-toss in your lunch or workout bag. I enjoy a bar 30 minutes prior to my workout to get the fuel needed to power through my workout with a 'boosted' calorie burn weapon!
The sweet-tart juicy burst from the dried cherries combined with the creamy chocolate goodness of the chips is like a symphony of flavors backed with the satisfying crunch of the walnuts. While I would not recommend these bars as a dessert treat since their sweetness is mainly derived from the cherries and dark chocolate alone, this dense bar is a super delicious treat that motivates me to live my best workout!
*NOTE: To make this more of a sweeter treat, add 1/2 cup brown sugar to the mix.
Check the numbers below!
Calories: 240 Cholesterol 0mg Total Carbohydrate 29.4g Dietary Fiber 3g
Total Sugars 11g Protein 10.1g
what's your go-to pre workout boost? let me know in the comments below!
Well, it depends ultimately on what you're looking for. Salads are light and refreshing meals that don't make you feel guilty...right? Well you may be surprised to find the calorie counts to be high and health ratings low in some of your favorite salads. This is largely due to the high-fat content in the dressings that make them taste sooooo good! For the amount of dressing added to these 'healthy' salads from our favorite restaurants, calories can skyrocket upwards of 300 calories alone! Not only that, but add the cheese, nuts, dried fruits, meats protein, boiled egg, croutons, etc., and your healthy-option-salad is running neck-and-neck with, if not exceeding the calorie count of your average cheese burger combo meal.
No fear, AC Art Of Food is here! My Black Bean & Greens Salad is a super healthy flavorful one that includes a modest selection of ingredients that are flavor-packed and nutrient rich. Simplicity speaks volumes!!
RULES OF THUMB:
- Less is best- choose your favorite 3 ingredients, no more than 4 and add to your salad greens.
- Oil & vinegar, or my favorite, lemon & oil are super delicious with a pinch of sea salt, garlic powder, and fresh cracked pepper- don't knock it 'till you try it, you'll be surprised!
- Want more of a creamy taste- make avocado one of your toppings with the dressing option above.
- WRAPS: Size is everything! Smaller wraps tend to run between 75-120 calories, much lower than their larger counterparts and are just as filling! Portion control is key- EVERYTHING in moderation.
What's your flavor- Salad or Wrap? Let me know in the comments below!
I used a pan to prepare half of the patties until I looked over my shoulder at the air fryer calling my name. One of my best girlfriends had just raved about a batch of turkey burgers she prepared in hers that were amazing! Not only that, but the time, calorie count, and clean up were all a favorable 'win-win'! In almost no time at all, dinner was served!
What's more, this dish can be created vegan and vegetarian! Omit the turkey patty and add in your favorite veggie meat-alternative protein (veggie/bean burgers work beautifully!). Want a more clean and less processed approach? Omit the patty altogether and opt for a portobello mushroom cap or eggplant slice- make it your own!
Which version of this dish would you prefer? How can you make it your own?
Let me know in the comments below!
*The 7 day flex taste & move Challenge*
...are you ready for the first day of the rest of your lifestyle?
Exclusive to only this AC's Cart Of Foodies FB GROUP and site subscribers!
7-Day Flex Taste & Move Challenge
- What it is: A 7 day meal plan and fitness challenge with options...it's FLEXIBLE
- Who: AC's Cart Of Foodies FB Group & AC Art Of Food site subscribers ONLY! (You have to subscribe to this site www.acartoffood.com in order to join the Facebook Group 'AC's Cart Of Foodies'!)
- When: Saturday, September 8th (Receive your meal plan and choose your workout and get ready to 'Taste & Move' Sunday!)
- Why: To help you jump-start the new you, and the FIRST day of the rest of your new lifestyle!!🤗
• An AC Art Of Food customized 7 day meal plan (breakfast/lunch/dinner/snacks) focused on **culinary health**- this is NOT a 'diet'. Unlike most meal challenges, the 7-Day Flex Taste & Move Challenge has a meal plan that you can eat for a lifetime!
(ACAOF's term **culinary health** is a mindful healthy eating lifestyle. It is not meant to restrict, but more so to incorporate better eating habits and eliminate the crap that ultimately harms your body)
• 7 different workouts with 7 daily routines each from various movement experts/trainers who have created specific routines just for my ACAOFoodies to choose from for your 7 days based on what best fits you!
• Each day of the challenge will also be accompanied with an inspiring motivational passage curated by a phenomenal author just for ACAOFoodies that will encourage you to be the best you, inside and out....and to keep you going!
• Plant based with options for your protein of preference. All meals have been specially designed for this challenge😋
The Workouts: (each workout listed has 7 days of routines):
•To be clear, the value of this challenge is priceless!!
But as a thank you and to show appreciation for my loyal subscribers and ACAOFoodies the **7 Day Flex Taste & Move Challenge** is FREE!!
AC Art Of Food's new monthly interactive custom meal plans will be available with 6 and 12 month subscription discounted rates coming this Fall!
🤓So stay tuned to our AC's Cart Of Foodies Group page for more info and to ask questions in preparation for September 8th!!🤓
🥘. 7-Day Flex Taste & Move Challenge
...are you ready to start the First day of the rest of your lifestyle?
So while you deal with homework and teacher supply lists, let AC Art Of Food help you with snack and lunchbox ideas to satisfy your tiny scholar’s large appetite!
These are very tasty and may make their way into your lunch bag as well.
Just thought I’d give you a heads up!
- Nitrate-free deli turkey or ham
- Mozzarella cheese (lower in fat that most cheese)
- Fresh spinach leaves
2.Bagel My Tuna
- Thin sliced bagels
- Your little ones favorite prepared tuna salad
3.Chicken, Tuna, Egg, or Tofu Salad Boats
- Fresh and firm cleaned romaine lettuce leaves
- Prepared chicken, tuna, egg, or tofu salad (tofu salad: prepare like egg salad substituting diced extra firm tofu)
- Your favorite crackers
- Your favorite cheese/ veggie cheese, sliced to the size of crackers
- Your favorite protein (pepperoni, turkey, ham (the veggie options for these work perfectly! Tofurky is a great option)
5. Protein Caprese Salad
- 1 cup prepared quinoa, toboulei, or couscous
- 1 cup fresh spinach, kale, or other lettuce leaves
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup fresh mozzarella diced
- Handful of basil, chopped
- 1 tbsp balsamic glaze (found near the oils and vinegars in your grocery)
6. PB&J Pinwheels
- Whole wheat tortilla
- Natural peanut butter
- Your favorite 100% fruit spread
- Pita round, halved and pocket opened for stuffing
- Prepared Cesar salad (fresh romaine + Ceasar dressing + lemon juice, and toss)
- Protein: shrimp, diced turkey, chicken, or veggie protein
8. Fruit Wafflewhich
- 2 frozen waffles
- Cream cheese
- Your favorite 100% fruit spread
9. Crudite Sushi
- Flatbread or other flavored wraps (tomato, spinach)
- Cream cheese with herbs
- Nori/Seaweed sheets
- Thinly sliced fresh veggies (cucumbers, carrots, sweet peppers, etc.)
Need more ideas?
AC Art Of Food
Eat Your Fruits & Veggies
Foodie And Her Thoughts
Food Is Medicine
Good For The Kiddies