With Fall taking it’s precious time fully arriving, the cooling, yet still mild temps allow for a few more lighter meals from the summer- SALADS!
While my son considers them ‘mushy apples’ 😒, I, on the contrary admit to being a fan of the shapely pear!
Pears are a great source of fiber, full of antioxidants, are heart healthy and cholesterol lowering- aiding in weight loss. Pears are also known to help in the treatment of diverticulitis.
These juicy treats come in a wide variety of colors and skin textures and are delicious and comforting in tarts, cakes, and pies alike. But I get an extra kick of fiber when they top my ‘Pear Sprouted Salad’!
'Tha' pears sprouted salad
mixed salad greens
A dusting of garlic powder
a pinch of sea salt
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Lay on sliced pears
Top with crisp onion straws, and...
What's your favorite fruit to top on a salad?
What's your favorite Thanksgiving dish?
Let me know in the comments below!
So as the self-appointed Culinary Health Consultant of Savannah State University Tiger Alumni (lol!), I have devised 3 Get-back-right 'Post-Homecoming Detox' recipes for the week after to recoup and re-align from the past weekend 'activities'.
Ultimately, this is simply an awesome way to jump-start to a healthier body and lifestyle, inside and out!
Enjoy the recipes below along with these helpful tips below:
1. No fried food for the next 3 days.
2. No artificial or added sweets for the next 3 days.
3. No alcohol for the next 3 days.
4. Drink 8oz. of warm lemon water every morning.
5. Drink at least 1/2 your body weight in water everyday.
**POST-HOMECOMING 'Tiger' DETOX**
- Gallon of water
- 1/2 sliced cucumber
- 1 inch peeled ginger root
- 1 lemon sliced
- handful of fresh mint leaves.
- 2 stalks of celery
- 1 apple
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 inch turmeric root
- 1 cup spinach
- Blend until smooth.
- Container of low-sodium vegetable broth
- 4 green onions chopped/sliced
- 4 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- the juice of 2 limes.
What's your favorite part of homecoming?
Let me know in the comments below!
This one-pot wonder is such a velvety taste of wonder that you will not believe how super easy it is to make! Each ingredient is sautéed in one pot, melding together a delicious symphony of vegetables, natural sweetness, and healing spices that welcome the cooler weather approaching.
Warm healing spice notes from the turmeric, cumin, and nutmeg in this recipe make this Maple Butternut Squash Soup actually a Super Food Soup! Oh, and did I mention this rich delicious bowl of goodness and mercy is VEGAN! *Insert warm and fuzzies here*
Try this recipe and let me know what you think! Don’t forget to post pics to the comments below!
What's more is that this delicious recipe has the comforting flavor of homemade mashed potatoes, without the guilt! Only 33 calories and 3 carbs per serving! Compare that to the 129 calories and 25 grams of carb in real mashed potatoes per serving!
Are you a fan of cauliflower or nah?
Drop a comment below and let me know how you prepare your cauliflower!
Now don't get me wrong, nothing says summer like a delicious bowl of strawberry shortcake, but now that I'm incorporating everything into creating a healthier lifestyle, I decided to bring this cherished, comfort-food dessert into a delicious treat- minus the 'cake'. What's more is I can do it for under 100 calories a serving!
While this post is primarily about strawberries, other fresh fruit is super ideal to make variations to this delicious and light recipe. Sliced banana, slivered almonds, and a cherry on top is sure to be your new guilt-free-go-to banana split fav, but don't stop at fresh! Grilled fruit loves fresh whipped cream just as much. In fact, grilled pineapple and peaches literally curls my toes and drives me into my happy dance! And just in case you were wondering, my son thought it would be a great idea to secure a chocolate sandwich cooke as the topping in the pic below, lol!
I must admit I was a bit hesitant to even think that whipped cream would satisfy my sweet tooth for a cool, refreshing, vanilla topping. I naturally coveted 'ice cream' as the ideal accompaniment. Boy was I wrong! Whipped cream is super light yet flavor potent, and might I add nearly 230 calories LESS than its iced counterpart! YES! Two tablespoons of 'real' whipped cream is only 15 calories with less than 1 gram of sugar! (...I'll wait and let you read that again). This is literally a win-win situation. So check the recipe below and become a winner!!
What delicious variations would you try with whipped cream and fruit?
Let me know in the comments below!
Well, it depends ultimately on what you're looking for. Salads are light and refreshing meals that don't make you feel guilty...right? Well you may be surprised to find the calorie counts to be high and health ratings low in some of your favorite salads. This is largely due to the high-fat content in the dressings that make them taste sooooo good! For the amount of dressing added to these 'healthy' salads from our favorite restaurants, calories can skyrocket upwards of 300 calories alone! Not only that, but add the cheese, nuts, dried fruits, meats protein, boiled egg, croutons, etc., and your healthy-option-salad is running neck-and-neck with, if not exceeding the calorie count of your average cheese burger combo meal.
No fear, AC Art Of Food is here! My Black Bean & Greens Salad is a super healthy flavorful one that includes a modest selection of ingredients that are flavor-packed and nutrient rich. Simplicity speaks volumes!!
RULES OF THUMB:
- Less is best- choose your favorite 3 ingredients, no more than 4 and add to your salad greens.
- Oil & vinegar, or my favorite, lemon & oil are super delicious with a pinch of sea salt, garlic powder, and fresh cracked pepper- don't knock it 'till you try it, you'll be surprised!
- Want more of a creamy taste- make avocado one of your toppings with the dressing option above.
- WRAPS: Size is everything! Smaller wraps tend to run between 75-120 calories, much lower than their larger counterparts and are just as filling! Portion control is key- EVERYTHING in moderation.
What's your flavor- Salad or Wrap? Let me know in the comments below!
*The 7 day flex taste & move Challenge*
...are you ready for the first day of the rest of your lifestyle?
Exclusive to only this AC's Cart Of Foodies FB GROUP and site subscribers!
7-Day Flex Taste & Move Challenge
- What it is: A 7 day meal plan and fitness challenge with options...it's FLEXIBLE
- Who: AC's Cart Of Foodies FB Group & AC Art Of Food site subscribers ONLY! (You have to subscribe to this site www.acartoffood.com in order to join the Facebook Group 'AC's Cart Of Foodies'!)
- When: Saturday, September 8th (Receive your meal plan and choose your workout and get ready to 'Taste & Move' Sunday!)
- Why: To help you jump-start the new you, and the FIRST day of the rest of your new lifestyle!!🤗
• An AC Art Of Food customized 7 day meal plan (breakfast/lunch/dinner/snacks) focused on **culinary health**- this is NOT a 'diet'. Unlike most meal challenges, the 7-Day Flex Taste & Move Challenge has a meal plan that you can eat for a lifetime!
(ACAOF's term **culinary health** is a mindful healthy eating lifestyle. It is not meant to restrict, but more so to incorporate better eating habits and eliminate the crap that ultimately harms your body)
• 7 different workouts with 7 daily routines each from various movement experts/trainers who have created specific routines just for my ACAOFoodies to choose from for your 7 days based on what best fits you!
• Each day of the challenge will also be accompanied with an inspiring motivational passage curated by a phenomenal author just for ACAOFoodies that will encourage you to be the best you, inside and out....and to keep you going!
• Plant based with options for your protein of preference. All meals have been specially designed for this challenge😋
The Workouts: (each workout listed has 7 days of routines):
•To be clear, the value of this challenge is priceless!!
But as a thank you and to show appreciation for my loyal subscribers and ACAOFoodies the **7 Day Flex Taste & Move Challenge** is FREE!!
AC Art Of Food's new monthly interactive custom meal plans will be available with 6 and 12 month subscription discounted rates coming this Fall!
🤓So stay tuned to our AC's Cart Of Foodies Group page for more info and to ask questions in preparation for September 8th!!🤓
🥘. 7-Day Flex Taste & Move Challenge
...are you ready to start the First day of the rest of your lifestyle?
AC Art Of Food
Eat Your Fruits & Veggies
Foodie And Her Thoughts
Food Is Medicine
Good For The Kiddies